Today I will show you what Japanese dinner is like, and how to prepare it.
The Japanese dinner is consists of the main course, which is made of protein like fish or meat.
And 2 to 3 side dishes made of vegetables.
And of course, these dishes are served with freshly steamed Japanese short-grain rice and soup.
It sounds taking much time to prepare, but it doesn’t.
Usually, I prepare all the dish within 30 to 40 mins.
Let me show you how I prepare dinner in quick and easy way.
First thing first, I rinse my rice and set on rice cooker.
Not a few people told me that the rice shouldn’t be rinsed, saying that “you are losing the nutrition.”
The fact is, the nutrients have lost already when it refined. What I do is to make my rice tastier.
I’d rather eat brown rice if I want to get nutrients. I will show you how I eat my brown rice someday.
We love to enjoy the natural taste from the ingredients.
Grilling is the most simple way to cook eggplant, and very popular.
The flesh is steamed on its own moisture inside the skin. The skin seals Umami of eggplant inside.
You will surprise at the texture. It’s like melting in your mouth!
You can also pour mentsuyu over it.
The cooking method I did for “Simmered Shishito pepper” is my invention.
No dasi, No de-seeds, no nothing!
Simmer in water, soy sauce and mirin for 5 mins. Add in bonito flakes. Done. How easy is that!?
But the Shishito pepper absorbs Umami from the bonito flakes and it tastes so flavorful. This type of Shishito pepper is not spicy at all. So simple but so flavorful.
Grilled pork is good for your health.
Negi-Shio Dare (scallion-salt sauce) has intense flavor but goes well with pork!
I like pork tenderloin because it is lean but soft.
Vitamin B contains in pork works as an anti-fatigue agent, and the scallion helps absorb into our body.
What do you think about our meal preparation?
Let me know!!
What Japanese dinner is like?
- grill pan
- 3 eggplant
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp soy sauce regular
Simmered Shishito pepper
- 1 package Shishito pepper (about 20pieces)
※not spicy. Green bell pepper can be used.
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce light
- 3 g bonito flakes 1 small package
Grilled pork tenderloin with "Negi-Shio Dare" (Scallion-salt sauce)
- 1 pork tenderloin 350~400g
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4~5 stalks scallion
- ⅔ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp toasted and grind sesame seeds
- 〈Grilled eggplant〉Poke eggplant all over the surface with a chopstick.Line them on a rack of griller, and cook on high for 5 mins. ※You can use BBQ griller or Oven.Flip them over and cook 5 more mins.The steam will release from the hole, it prevents an explosion.When the eggplants get charrd and soft to touch, take out onto a tray. Let it cool 5 mins before peeling,
Put a small bowl filled with water beside you. Peel the charred skin. Cool your finger with the water. Be careful; it is so hot. The skin is easy to peel off while it is hot.
Tear into strips and cut the length into bite size.Transfer to a dish and topped with grated ginger.
- 〈Simmered Shishito pepper〉Cook simmered Shishito pepper while grilling the eggplant.Cut off the stem end with your kitchen sears.Poke your Shishito pepper with a toothpick or skewer several times.※To prevent explosion. Simmer in water and soy sauce and mirin for 5 mins with the lid on.
When peppers become soft, turn off the heat and add in Bonito flakes.Boito flakes add dashi to the broth, and it makes so flavorful. Leave the bonito flakes out and serve with Shishito peppers.
Set aside until served.
- 〈Grilled pork with "Negi-Shio Dare"〉
Chop the scallion into thin slices.
Add in sugar, salt, and sesame oil. Add toasted sesame oil to add nutty flavor.
Pat dry your pork tenderloin. Cut it into 1cm slices. Cut open the end part and score the surface.
Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper.
Heat the grilling pan on high, and oil the surface. Grill until nicely cooked. Avoid over-cooking; otherwise it becomes dry.
Transfer to a dish and pour over the Negi-Shio Dare.