Today, we are making “Aji-no-Nsmban-Zuke”, marinated Baby horse mackerel.
We can find baby horse mackerels in this time of the year at a very reasonable price. It’s good source of calcium and protein. Japanese mom’s cook for their kids to raise them to grow big.
Deep fried horse mackerel should be soft enough to eat everything.
It tastes sweet and sour, and the vegetables adds complex flavor to it. It’s so refreshing, good to eat in hot and humid Japanese summer.
- frying pan
- 10~12 baby horse mackerel cod fish, mackerel, chicken can be used
- ½ onion
- ⅓ carrot
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1~2 cups oil for frying
- ½ cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
- a pinch chili pepper
- First, let's see how to prepare the baby horse mackerel. Open the gill and pinch just under the gill. Remove the gill and pull to all the guts out. Rinse under running water. It's the easiest way to prepare without using knife.Pat dry the moisture. If you don't remove excess water, the oil will splatter all over the countertop and you will be burned.
- Heat the oil to 160 ℃（320℉) . Slide in your prepared baby horse mackerel and deep fry until done for about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, let's cut the vegetables. Thinly slile the onion against the grain. Slice the carrot thinly diagonally. Place them on top of each other, then cut into match sticks. Cut the bell peppers into match sticks as well. Set aside until used.
- Let's go back to the horse mackerel. Take out onto a rack. If you want to have really easy to eat horse mackerel, let them deep fry once again. Leave it on a rack for about a couple of minutes. Heat the oil to high, about 180℃（350℉） and deep fry for about a minute. If you don't want the oil splattering, cover with a lid or mesh lid.
- Mix all the ingredients of marinade.
- Place the baby horse mackerel in a dish. Cover the fish with prepared vegetable. Pour the marinade over it. Spoon the marinade several times over it. You can serve it after at least 30 mins preferably a couple of hours.